In the late last few decades of the 20th century, the exercise bike was one of the most popular piece of equipment in any gym or homes of exercisers. There have been many major inventions in the fitness industry since then, yet this simple machine still holds the popularity crown. Why? Mainly because it’s easy to use, cheap yet effective way to lose weight or keep fit. But not all exercise bikes are equal. There are those that will do the job better. After decades of riding the steed and thousand of hours of research, here are the top home exercise bikes and the reasons why they rule:
1. Schwinn 270 Recumbent Bike
Rating: 4.1 and Price: $425.71
From one of the leading manufacturers of fitness equipment, this recumbent bike is a priced somewhere in the middle, neither too cheap nor too pricey.
It has plenty of bells and whistles to keep techie exercisers entertained such as heart rate control, 29 programs, quick start program, 25 resistance levels (including 10 resistance, quick keys), monitor that shows 13 different statistics, easily connectible to multimedia player devices (e.g. iPad, Kindle), speakers, and of course a holder for your water bottle.
Despite being hi-tech, the manufacturers have managed not to make it too unwieldy for users and easily storable at the same time. It’s built for several users as it can save multiple profiles (up to 4), so that the whole family can use it. And because its a recumbent bike, it’s great for people with back problems or for people who have been sitting on their desks all day long.
You won’t get bored using this bike – you can watch videos or listen to music while working out. The best thing is that the dual display lets you do that while keeping tabs of your progress. Of course, it’s not perfect (monitor can be too bright for some people and the fan is a bit weak), but it’s a great buy for the price.
- SCHWINN 270 Recumbent BikeBluetooth connectivity, syncs with the Schwinn Trainer App and other apps for fitness tracking Sync with free downloadable RideSocial App and see the world as you virtually ride alongside friends in real time 29 programs: 12 profile, 9 heart rate control, 4 custom, 2 fitness test, 1 quick start. Plugs into any standard electrical wall outlet on a 110V-120V circuit. 120V 60Hz AC input; 1.5A output. 90-240V, 50-60Hz adapter included 25 levels of resistance for a wide range of workout intensity options High speed, high inertia drive system with a perimeter weighted flywheel for easy start up and smooth, consistent workouts DualTrack LCD displays, media shelf, in-console speakers with MP3 input port, USB media charging and adjustable fan
- Schwinn 270 Recumbent BikeDual track two LCD window system allows you to monitor up to 13 different display feedbacks Schwinn Connect goal tracking and data export keep you up to date on reaching your fitness goals 29 programs, 4 user settings and goal tracking are all there to keep you motivated and challenged 25 levels of resistance aligned with a high speed high inertia perimeter weighted flywheel make every workout smooth and quiet Charging USB port and data exchange.Maximum user weight: 300 lbs
2. Schwinn 170 Upright Bike
Rating: 4.00 and Price: $329.99
If a recumbent bike is not your thing, this Schwinn 170 Upright Bike might be more along your taste. Upright bikes mimic traditional bikes, and is therefore, easier to master. The usual complaints, however, for uprights is that like a real bike, long rides can be uncomfortable.
Schwinn addressed the problem and created a comfortable saddle that allows riders to stay longer. It has also upped the notch a little by integrating 29 built-in programs with 25 resistance levels. But if you have a workout in mind, this bike can accommodate your creativity.
It can monitor your heart rate so that you can keep maximize the benefits of your exercise. You can also customize your heart rate control if you want to build up the strength of your heart and lungs.
The resistance levels are nothing to scoff at – there are levels for novices and advanced users alike. If you are an OC about your fitness, you can track your progress so that you know whether you are on your way to achieving your fitness goals.
For those who are competitive, you can compare notes with other people at myfitnesspal.com by simply uploading your data. This not only fuels the spirit, it will also keep you going!
- SCHWINN 170 Upright BikeWith enhanced Bluetooth connectivity, users can set, track and monitor progress with popular app-based tracking tools Access the Explore the World app and digitally immerse yourself in a world of virtual courses, exotic locales, and stunning trails from around the globe (3 free courses available). Unlock more with Explore the World app subscription Fully-loaded console with DualTrack blue backlit LCD screens display 29 workout programs Telemetric heart rate enabled and ergonomically placed contact heart rate sensors Padded contoured seat with post for easy seat exchange with any clamp and rail bicycle seat
- Exercise Bike AssemblyAssembly of 1 customer-supplied exercise bike per product instructions Product should be in the room where it is to be assembled before provider arrives. Moving product after assembly is not included Product activation and setup of smart features is not included Cleanup work area. Take packaging to customer's bins unless customer declines Products requiring additional work may result in an updated estimate from provider This service does not include haul-away of products or trash
3. Sunny health & fitness pro indoor cycling bike
Rating: 4.30 and Price: $279.95
Schwinn, of course, is not the only manufacturer worthy of landing the top 10 home exercise bike reviews. This model is a solid contender for exercise bikes in the $300 category. It’s a basic model that is easy to assemble yet can perform heavy-duty functions. Unlike the Schwinn models above, this one is shipped sans a computer.
What!?, no computer?! Yes, but this does not detract to its performance. Some people don’t like fiddling with buttons before sweating. They don’t care about their speed, time, distance covered, heart rate or all the other statistics.
They are comfortable with just going with their gut. They don’t need numbers to tell them that they are working their heart out. If that describes you as an exerciser, then this is your machine. It’s a no-frills bike at a reasonable price and built just to do what it’s suppose to do – let you work out a sweat.
And why not? The first exercise bikes did not have machines and worked for the users back then. Plus, there are all kinds of smart wearables (e.g. smartmatch, fitness bracelets) that can do these functions. So why spend extra if you already have them? It will save you money and poses less distractions.
- SCHWINN Fitness 130 Upright Bike (Model Year 2020), BlackWith enhanced Bluetooth connectivity, users can set, track and monitor progress with popular app-based tracking tools Discover 40+ global routes that auto-adjust in real time to your speed with Explore the World videos (Explore the World subscription required) Discover 1000+ structured workouts and 80+ virtual routes by connecting with the Zwift app (Zwift subscription required) 5.5" LCD offers 13 workout programs 16 levels of magnetic resistance for a wide range of workout intensity options Telemetry heart rate enabled and ergonomically placed grip heart rate for a relaxed riding position when using a heart rate program Adjustable handlebars Foam comfort seat Weighted strapped pedals High speed, high inertia perimeter weighted flywheel for a smooth and quiet workout
- SCHWINN Fitness 230 Recumbent Bike (Model Year 2020), BlackDimensions: 64" L x 27" w x 44.5" H | Weight: 80 lbs With enhanced Bluetooth connectivity, users can set, track and monitor progress with popular app-based tracking tools Discover 1000 Plus structured workouts and 80 Plus virtual routes by connecting with the Zwift app (Zwift subscription required) 5.5" LCD offers 13 workout programs 16 levels of magnetic resistance for a wide range of workout intensity options Telemetry heart rate enabled and ergonomically placed grip heart rate for a relaxed riding position when using a heart rate program Thick padded contoured seat with large vented back Weighted strapped pedals High speed, high inertia perimeter weighted flywheel for a smooth and quiet workout
4. Exerpeutic 900XL Extended Capacity Recumbent Bike with Pulse
Rating: 4.20 and Price: $168.99
Most people who exercise at home are usually pressed for time and space. Nonetheless, they still want an exercise bike that is of gym quality without costing an arm and a leg. Enter the Exerpeutic 900 XL Extended Capacity Recumbent Bike with Pulse. While this model is easy to assemble and can be rolled into a storage closet easily, manufacturers still managed to go beyond the basics.
It’s a recumbent bike, and so the seats are built for comfort, long-term use as well as prevent needless stress on your back. After a long day in front of the computer, you want to rest your back.
It has an LCD display that monitors your progress in terms of distance, time, speed and calories burned. And did I mention it also has a heart rate monitor built into it? While it only has 8 resistance levels, still, every level presents a challenge on its own.
If you live in an apartment, you don’t want to alert the neighbors every time you ride your bike, so the quiet wheels are perfect. It can accommodate users from 5 ft to 6ft 3″, and up to 325 pounds.
- EXERPEUTIC 900XL Recumbent Exercise Bike with Pulse 300 lbs. Weight CapacityYour purchase includes Exerpeutic 900 XL Recumbent Exercise Bike with Pulse; Adult Assembly required, tools provided Exercise Bike dimensions: 54” L x 22” W x 34” H; Product Weight: 63 pounds; Weight capacity: 300 pounds; User height – 5’3” – 6’ 6”; Seat adjustments – 5.3” - 6.6”; Magnetic Tension Levels – 8 Large oversized seat cushion and back rest for users of any size Easy-to-read LCD display indicates distance, calories burned, time, speed, and heart rate information Recumbent stationary bike offers challenging cardiovascular workout while minimizing stress on your joints and back
- Exerpeutic 900XL Extended Capacity Recumbent Bike with Equipment MatRecumbent stationary bike offers challenging cardiovascular workout while minimizing stress on your joints and back Eight-level magnetic tension control System allows you to customize your ride and challenge yourself over time Folding waterproof PVC equipment mat (79"l x 35.4"W x .24"H) included for floor protection and noise reduction when exercising Large, easy-to-read LCD display indicates distance, calories burned, time, speed, and heart RATE information 300-pound maximum user weight. One year limited Warranty
5. Marcy ME 709 Recumbent Exercise Bike
Rating: 4.20 and Price: $169.95
If price is an issue with you, but still want the best exercise bike in the market, consider this Marcy ME 709 Recumbent Exercise Bike. It’s a basic exercise bike that costs under $200 and yet still manages to rise to the top in terms of other features. For that price, you get a compact equipment that can be assembled by almost anyone, easily stored in closets, and yet performs quietly and smoothly.
It’s the recumbent version of the Sunny health & fitness pro indoor cycling bike, except that it has an LCD screen that only monitor basic statistics such as calories burned, speed, time and distance. For those obsessed with their numbers, this would be a minor disaster, but it is not without a solution.
Lucky for you that you live in this era because technology is kind to the number-obsessed. You can always purchase a smartwatch or a fitbit if tracking a detailed progress is important to you. Otherwise, the ergonomic seat, quiet performance, and cheap price of this model makes it a good workout partner. The recumbent seat is great for those who want to take good care of their backs as well as be able to ride the bike longer.
6. Marcy Foldable Exercise Bike
Rating: 4.40 and Price: $124.95
Another floor-saving exercise bike from Marcy, this foldable version easily, well, folds for easy storage. And even though it’s foldable, it’s still very cheap and surprisingly solid and dependable.
The downside is that it can only seat users of up to 250 pounds, so heavier folks would have to shop around. It’s an upright bike, so it rides like the regular bike and lets you have the workout that is similar to it (except that its stationary, duh!). It has 8 resistance levels that can be adjusted to your specifications.
Like the Schwinn 170, the manufacturers put some thought into the saddle. It padded the seats and designed ergonomically so that users can ride longer without the aches and pains that accompany a usual bike ride. When seats are uncomfortable, riders tend to stay on the saddle shorter, which may render the workout useless. The magnetic resistant system allows for a smooth ride.
The LCD has some basic programs for novice riders and can track distance, speed, time and calories burned. This model is particularly enticing to people who have never used an exercise bike before but would like to do workout in a limited space.
- Marcy Foldable Recumbent Exercise Bike with High Backrest and Magnetic Resistance NS-653, Black White, One SizeCUSTOMIZABLE CYCLING WORKOUT – Designed for fitness enthusiasts of all skill levels, the Marcy NS-653 comes with a manual magnetic resistance mechanism that has variable levels, allowing you to tailor your training to your fitness level. COMFORTABLE HIGH-PROFILE SEAT WITH BACKREST – Designed to give you comfortable and efficient training sessions, this recumbent bike boasts a padded seat with a tall backrest that helps reduce back strain during exhausting workouts LCD DISPLAY TRACKS PROGRESS – This foldable stationary bike has an ultra-functional LCD computer screen that acts as an odometer and more, letting you monitor distance traveled, time elapsed, current speed, and calories burned. COUNTERWEIGHTED PEDALS – This compact exercise bike has weighted, counterbalanced pedals that provide maximized support for your feet. The pedals are equipped with adjustable foot straps to custom fit your exact foot size. HASSLE-FREE STORAGE – Thanks to its ergonomically designed frame, you can fold this bike to conveniently store it anywhere in your home. Its transport wheels make it easy to move from one corner to another.
- Marcy Foldable Exercise Bike with Adjustable Resistance for Cardio Workout and Strength Training NS-652EXCELLENT CARDIO WORKOUT - The fat-blasting cardio offered by this exercise device is significant, as each pedal targets the quads, hamstrings, and glutes. Not only does it burn fat, but it also strengthens the leg’s muscles, giving you well-toned legs ADJUSTABLE RESISTANCE - This bicycle has a manually adjustable resistance that offers various degrees of exercises. With eight preset levels of magnetic resistance control, you can set to simulate various types of workouts depending on the resistance. FOLDABLE - The exercise utility is designed to fold compactly with its advanced frame design that allows for easier storage and portability as it folds up, granting you more space at home. It also has rubberized foot based to prevent scratching and damage EASY SCREEN INTERFACE –This unit comes with a LCD panel that shows different variables related to your workout - speed, distance, time, and calories burned. The interface is user-friendly, especially planning workout routines and monitoring your progress HEAVY DUTY CONSTRUCTION – Made of 14 gauge, high-quality frame which boasts durability and surface resiliency, this bike has counterweighted pedals with adjustable foot straps and an adjustable foam padded seat for hassle-free cycling Recommended User Height 5’1 to 6’3 / Maximum Weight Capacity: 250 lbs.
7. Schwinn 230 Recumbent Exercise Bike
Rating: 4.20 and Price: $278.92
Another moderately priced bike from Schwinn, this model comes with a plethora of features that can definitely motivate exercisers. It’s from Schwinn, so the computer is of top-quality.
It has 20 levels of resistance, and a variety of programs for all types of riders. There pre-programmed workouts or you can make one for yourself. The controls on the LCD are quite large and idiot-friendly. Even the most technophobic can quickly work out the system, as long as he knows how to read, of course!
The built-in programs are so challenging that it takes some time for users to go through all of them. Some even have had favorites and stuck to them for quite some time before moving on! The heart rate monitors are awesome, allowing the users to distinguish between a cardiovascular or fat burning session.
It can monitor up to 9 user profiles, more than enough for every member of the family. The seats are designed for long term use, and are comfortably padded. You can also synchronize your data at myfitnesspal,com! And if the weather is too hot to exercise, it has a built-in fan that can cool you down. To top it all, it has a USB port that can charge your devices, so that you can power your phones and tablets while you sweat. It’s a sweat deal (pun intended).
8. Exerpeutic Folding Magnetic Upright Bike with Pulse
Rating: 4.44 and Price: $149.00
This is another model that is meant for people with space constraints. It can handle up to 300 pounds of weight but still has all the features of an upright bike. It’s also very affordable but with all the features you want.
The LCD screen is quite basic but can still monitor up the statistics necessary to monitor your workout. Exerpeutic Folding Magnetic Upright Bike is a highly recommended exercise bike for home exerciser.
Exerpeutic Folding Magnetic Upright Bike with pulse is a exercise bike that has highest customer review and high customer rating. You can buy and use it without any hesitation.
9. Exerpeutic 400XL Folding Recumbent Bike
Rating: 4.50 and Price: $149.00
This is another affordable bike that stands out from the rest of the exercise bikes. Like the bike just discussed above, it’s also foldable. Again, this is a bike for people where space is a major issue. The difference is that this is a recumbent bike, and therefore, it is geared for people who have problems with their back.
You can easily slide in and out of the seats and can support weights of up to 300 pounds. For a folding bike, that’s really sturdy. It’s slightly over $100, which is a great bargain for the serious exercisers. And despite the price, the manufacturer did not scrimp on the features.
It has an LCD panel that tracks the basic numbers – time, distance, heart rate and calories burned, all statistics that are important to a serious exerciser. Exercise bikes with complicated computers can be intimidating to first time users.
The Exerpeutic 400XL Folding Recumbent Bike targets users who don’t want to fuss with their machines. Get in, workout and then get out – all these the 400XL can do. If you are familiar with exercise bikes, your learning curve is pretty low with this model. Almost anyone can operate this with no problem at all.
- Exerpeutic 400XL Folding Recumbent Bike with Performance MonitorFoldable recumbent exercise bike with quiet V-belt double-drive transmission system Precision-balanced flywheel; 8-level adjustable magnetic tension control system Easy-to-read LCD display tracks your distance, calories, time, speed, and heart rate Can be used as desk bike with height adjustable desks. Semi-recumbent design for easy entry and exit; large seat cushion and backrest Supports up to 300 pounds; Product setup dimensions: 33”L x 19”W x 46”H
- Exerpeutic 400XL Folding Recumbent Bike with Equipment MatFoldable recumbent exercise bike with quiet V-belt double-drive transmission System. Precision-balanced flywheel; 8-level adjustable magnetic tension control System Folding waterproof PVC equipment mat(79"l x 35.4"W x .24"H) for floor protection and noise reduction when exercising Easy-to-read LCD display tracks your distance, calories, time, speed, and heart RATE Semi-recumbent design for easy entry and exit; large seat cushion and backrest Supports up to 300 pounds; Product setup dimensions: 33”L x 19”W x 46”H
10. Sunny Health and Fitness Indoor Cycling Bike (Pink)
Rating: 4.30 and Price: $169.99
Priced at under $300, this model offers a solid and sturdy design that is quite visually appealing. Unlike the other bikes above, this is more for the use of spinners. In spin classes, students tend to pedal vigorously. Because it has a flywheel that is heavier than most (40 lbs), it can withstand rigorous pedaling from enthusiastic spinners.
Studies have shown that heavier flywheels make for an efficient workout. The handlebars are adjustable so that the rider can customize the bike to his needs. Serious athletes are the usual people attracted to this model, and the padded handlebars can keep blisters away.
It is also equipped with sturdy pedals, so you can sit or stand at will and make your workout harder or easier as you please. Be that as it may, the bike can be assembled easily. You can take your spinning class home and work up a sweat in front of the television or to the blast of music. The box contains instructions as well as the tools necessary to make the bike work for you. The various tensions will guarantee a workout comparable to your spinning classes.